Tuesday, July 29, 2008

workin' on it

Here is what an unnamed writer once said:

"Creativity is a wild mind and a disciplined eye."

That is, being creative means you fill your head with millions of different ideas. You read magazines and watch movies and have long conversations and read bathroom walls and disclaimers on sneakers and stare at trees and listen to the logic of little kids and look at limericks and listen to songs from Sweden. You put everything into a jumbled, tangled collection of colors and words and shapes and sounds into your head.

And then you have the discipline to see the relationship between previously unrelated things. With your eye, you create new connections between different things that are not used to being connected. Like GI Joe characters and versions of the Bible or a scorecard and how much product worship leaders put in their hair.

If you find me quiet, this is usually what I'm attempting to do - put together the small pieces of life (we're all small) in order to better know the big puzzle picture. I'm not sure if it's ever accomplished...for there's not a lot of it that gets expressed in words. I hope that doesn't frustrate you as much as it's okay with me. :)

This just seems to fit, since i read about it today:

4 comments:

Joel said...

I love this post. Do you have this cd (Elisa)? If not, I need to share. I got it from Danger. absolutely beautiful.

fentastic said...

I have the song but not the cd. I remember checking her out at one point and thought some of her writing was too pagan for me..? Was I wrong?

Charissa said...

nice.
scorecards and the amount of hair product in a worship leader's hair.... haha.

and this girl has a lovely voice!
I'll have to listen to some more of her stuff.

Joel said...

You're pagan.