Monday, July 7, 2008

Christian Massages

in a recent conversation this weekend it was suggested by Jami Brookes Hedrick that there is no such thing as an innocent back rub/shoulder massage. While I will not say that Jami speaks on behalf of all women (because I also disagree with her on other points), she has argued that no shoulder massage (from the opposite sex) has come without either hope or intention. I suggested that I had friends that I'd received said services from, that were only friends. She didn't believe their intentions. Anyways, there's no way to prove one way or the other, but since I mentioned that in Bible college I thought it was pretty safe, we termed them "Christian massages." Feel free to use the air quotes as we do.

In other news I've been watching the last season of Burn Notice (full episodes online - along with Arrested Development) and I think maybe, just maybe, if i'm still single at 35 and graduated with my Masters degree... perhaps I'll look into being a spy. I got skills. Good way to see the world right? "Six figures, doing business with leadpipe cruelty, mercenery sensibility. You know... sports, sex, no real relationships." I also just realized that Burn Notice is the new McGyver.

2 comments:

Jessica said...

Is this anything like "When Harry Met Sally?" where men & women can't be "just friends?"

I know I've given/received plenty of massages with no ulterior motives - and I think men & women CAN be just friends. :)

fentastic said...

I'm not sure if her point went that far. She did try state that I am often oblivious to the women that are after me...and tried to make that point.