Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Blessed

There's a mighty wind going on outside tonight. I love the Colorado wind on a cool night like this. Makes me turn about face and wonder where it comes from and where it's going. I'm not even trying to be figurative, per se. This is the sort of wind that comes before the rain...and of course it must rain - for I had my car washed today.

However. :) On my drive home tonight I got to thinking, of course. Today i finished the 3rd season of Arrested Development (for the 3rd time) and wondered how such a clever and funny show got canceled after only the third season. "Who was the jackass that decided to pull the plug?" "Were the ratings too low?" "Did the actors want to much money?" "Did some big-shot make a stupid decision that everyone has to suffer for?" I looked it up and found the answer. While it may be disappointing to viewers like me, the reason made sense. The writer and creator simply stated that he'd "told the story he wanted to tell." It was over. It was told. To try anything more with it would have been a disservice to the show and to the viewers. And it was obviously told well because it left us wanting more. Fortunately, yet unfortunately, there are plans in place for the movie...

And there will always be winds of change... :) Had to get that in there. But seriously, as I took the time to consider how blessed I am - in this time, in this place, I am consistently reminded that life is but a collection of seasons. From my perspective for better or for worse. From God's perspective, all for the better. I say that because I've had conversations with God saying "Okay God, I've been faithful. I move when you say move. I'm getting old and a bit weary. Can I stay put and put down some roots now? Please?" Since 18 it's been an average of two years and move. I'm not complaining, for it has been a fulfilling journey for sure.

I received a phone message today from a very cool girl that I met in 2001. We spent a week together as counselors at a water-sports camp in California. We only talk about 2-3 times a year, but she did mention that it's been pretty cool that we are still friends after having met only once. I received another phone call today from one of my youth group kids who was 14 (?) when I was (21?). Shout out Jess.

Today, Mindy, one of the people I live with, asked me to pray for a couple I know through her and the school. Tony's brother-in-law was shot and murdered in Guatemala today leaving behind Tony's wife and two nieces.

today I've been blessed with 31 years of days.

I'm no angel (again, not figurative), but I have to wonder why God keeps bringing me into people's path, and then moving me on - and vice versa. I'm human and sometimes find myself asking God "What about me? It isn't fair? I've had enough, now I want my share. Can't you see? I wanna live? But you just take more than you give..." Quick - what song is that? In the end it's not about me, and it's better that way. :) Again, why understanding the journey is so important. Influence is everything. It aspires hope, and I believe it just might be what counseling boils down to. the wise King Solomon himself discovered that with all his wealth and pleasure (greater than any in Jerusalem), "All that my eyes desired I did not refuse them. I did not withhold my heart from any pleasure, for my heart was pleased because of all my labor and this was my reward for all my labor. Thus I considered all my activities which my hands had done and the labor which I had exerted, and behold all was vanity and striving after wind and there was no profit under the sun." I guess I can even be thankful I have a perspective to be thankful. I have been blessed with great friends and even great acquaintances.

31 seasons. Good song title right? Solomon, the wisest person ever to live (yes, aside from Jesus), went on to say "There is an appointed time for everything. And there is a time for ever event under heaven -- and you know the rest because the Byrds put it to music (Turn! Turn! Turn!).

And so i give thanks for the ecclesiastic seasons of life. Today is the day. A new day that the Lord has made. Let us rejoice and be glad in it.

A life of love.
A love of life.

P.s. Check out Lincoln Brewster's new single called "Today is the Day" Hope to do it in church eventually.

2 comments:

Joel said...

Dude, that's funny. I was sitting in my backyard for like 30 minutes tonight just watching the wind in the trees...and I rarely do that.

Wow, I can't believe that about Tony's brother...

Joel said...

HAPPY BDAY!!!