Wednesday, May 21, 2008

But if you're thinkin' 'bout my baby, it don't matter..

More thoughts. Got up late this morning (7) and had to head up north to drop off a cd of music for my drummer. Since it's a long drive with traffic it gives me plenty time to think - as if that's what I need more of! Then I stopped for breakfast - a new fad I'm trying out. I had coffee too. Black. What am I becoming? After years of not eating breakfast I'm trying to recapture my "prime" as i get ready for a summer of soccer, volleyball, and 14ers.

anyways, I started writing this while I was pondering the concept from scripture of "let your 'yes' be 'yes' and your 'no' be 'no.'" That's not what I'm going for here, for in both contexts of Matthew 5 and James 5 they are referring to the contexts of taking oaths and the severity of your word. But the thought led to me think about gray areas.

Here's how i feel about gray areas. :) I don't think they're bad. I think there's a danger of the pressure to sometimes force our gray areas into black and white, when they're still not black and white. Somehow we convince ourselves that black or white is better. Sometimes gray is the healthy for the here and now. It reminds me of some of my friends who, although they are communications majors, get up and make their speeches and social rounds from behind a mask of confidence, when it's just that - a mask. False confidence can work for some people, but it's also quite easy for some of us to see through. Especially in certain social settings. We are taught to perform certain functions and tasks, and to do it with confidence. What is confidence? Get up and do it! "Okay!" Completing a task does not equal confidence. Just because we were successful at something doesn't mean we knew what we were doing. Anyways, black and white, I think the two concepts are tied together. This may be on the brain because today I ran across a number of songs with "gray" in the title. It is what it is.

Also, perhaps somewhat related, is my pondering again of good, better, and best. Mostly in the sense that I think I know what I want. But what happens when I run into something that I know I should want, but don't have the willingness to drop the comfortable and take a risk for the best, because I still want what I currently want? What about when I run into something that I think I want, but I shouldn't want?

I should have been reading ... and my class starts in 1/2 an hour... Tired.

3 comments:

Ben and Kristi Graves said...

you know, i have been thinking along similar lines lately too - i sometimes settle for "good" when i know i should be working more for "better" or even "best" in some situations. thanks for sharing and getting me to think more! =D hope your class went well!

Ben and Kristi Graves said...

ps - i tagged you in my blog!

Ben and Kristi Graves said...

i like the new layout!! =D
no... it doesnt say anything -haha- just that i consider you a friend! and i thought you might do it.