noun
a person who spends money in a recklessly extravagant way.
• (also prodigal son or daughter) a person who leaves home and behaves in such a way, but later makes a repentant return. [ORIGIN: with biblical allusion to the parable in Luke 15:11–32.]
I think the parable of the prodigal son is almost inexhaustible. I think every time it's mentioned or referred to I get a new image of the Father's relentless grace and love. Though it seems almost over-preached, I don't think it can ever be minimized. I think it becomes a tired sermon because we really can't wrap our minds around it's truth. And so we think we understand it, and move on. "Yeah, i get it." But I don't get it. How, why would someone love me without limit? Without giving me what I deserve. Shouldn't I have to revel in my guilt like the son with the pigs? Shouldn't that be mandatory? Shouldn't I have to PAY for something? Forever a conundrum. Perhaps when I really get it I'll stop shrinking away to hide in my guilt.
You know me, since I can't write myself, I "run to the arms of another song." I could do this everyday, so i won't include the whole song but recommend you check it out yourself (if you do, notice the changing point of view within the narrative):
"Prodigal Me" by Shane Barnard
Father: each evening i look down that road
i hope and i wait for you
and my servants they look down that road
we watch and we pray for you
master, master, who's that man stumbling down that road?
could it be the one? could it be? could it be?
master, master, it's Your son
coming home to join our lives!
Son: we've finally crossed this mountain, and found our way home
there is no greater fortune than Jesus
oh how merciful is our God who gave His only Son!
oh we worship You tonight!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment