Tuesday, May 13, 2008

okay, i can't help it

up yet again for the 3rd sleepless night - and not enjoying it. Might as well write some things down.

Here's a definition I came up with tonight that hopefully i'll be able to expound upon at another time.

Wisdom:
Wisdom is not merely being smart or having the right answer. I propose that wisdom is having the ability to make the best choice based upon the best insight for the best possible outcome.

I shouldn't stop there...but I am absolutely frustrated to be awake right now. back to trying.


Morning came too soon:
Processing the concept of wisdom was probably still in the recesses of the brain as I thought about the previous week. We had our last session of group therapy and our exercise was to go around to each person and spend some time telling them what we learned and appreciated about each in the group.

Some years ago it was made known to me that there are 31 chapters in the book of Proverbs, making an easy reading plan for one chapter for each day of the month. It was also suggested to me that I make it a practice to start over every month. I've gone through seasons of wonderful diligence in doing this knowing that the author of most, Solomon, was the wisest man of them all (aside from Jesus of course). Two great interests of mine have been to study David - a man after God's own heart (humility), and Solomon - who said himself in the book:

Prov. 2:1 My son, if you accept my words
and store up my commands within you,
2 turning your ear to wisdom
and applying your heart to understanding,
3 and if you call out for insight
and cry aloud for understanding,
4 and if you look for it as for silver
and search for it as for hidden treasure,
5 then you will understand the fear of the LORD
and find the knowledge of God.
6 For the LORD gives wisdom,
and from his mouth come knowledge and understanding.

I admit my reading diligence oscillates with the best of them, but in these seasons of regularity I can strangely observe better life. Better choices and decisions. Wisdom. I call it strange because one wouldn't automatically think all of the subjects spoken of in Proverbs to be directly relevant. I guess that's one of the mysteries of how God works and imparts His wisdom by merely fearing Him, and asking.

One of the biggest concepts I've taken away from reading the book of Proverbs is the concept of seeking counsel. This in no way has impacted my pursuit in the counseling field, but it has impacted how I proceed with my personal choices and decisions. I've recognized that although I process everything to the nth degree and search for upteen possible perspectives of understanding, I don't see them all. I seek out trusted people to help me process most things in my life. Fortunately I have those people to discuss things with. I want your input. I want your experiences to teach my experiences and perspectives, my understandings and misunderstandings. Help me proceed with wisdom and integrity.

Prov. 1:5 A wise man will hear and increase in learning,
And a man of understanding will acquire wise counsel,
Prov. 12:15 The way of a fool is right in his own eyes,
But a wise man is he who listens to counsel.
Prov. 13:10 Through insolence comes nothing but strife,
But wisdom is with those who receive counsel.
Prov. 19:20 Listen to counsel and accept discipline,
That you may be wise the rest of your days.
21 Many plans are in a man’s heart,
But the counsel of the LORD will stand.
Prov. 27:9 Oil and perfume make the heart glad,
So a man’s counsel is sweet to his friend.

In the words of Tone-Loc, "Let's do it."

No comments: