I had a friend also call me last night who was asked by an atheist "if God is so big, powerful, and mighty, why would He ask people to worship Him?" In other words, he was stating that God should be self-sufficient and satisfied with himself. My friend said he didn't know what to tell him and asked what I would say. I gave a short answer with what came to mind. I'm sure there's plenty of books written on this as well, so don't hold me up as the answer man, but here were my thoughts:
off the top of my head I'm not sure God asks us to worship Him, but when you get to know who God is, and what He is like, He requires or demands our worship. Not in the sense that He has to state it, or mandate it, or needs it to be fulfilled. Does He want it? Of course. Because if you believe we are created to worship (and we all worship something - usually ourselves) then [with understanding] we cannot help but respond by worshiping God, because He deserves/requires it. Did Michael Jackson ever ask to be worshiped? Okay, bad example. Does Coldplay or U2? Probably not, but people still throw up their hands, lighters, or faint in response to something great. It's how we were created. Now if we can focus that worship on the One who truly deserves it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment