Thursday, June 12, 2008

flattery

I've been working on a paper for the last couple of hours here at the coffee shop I most regularly visit. I'm here so much that I'm on a first name basis with most of the employees - to the extent that some of the younger ones apparently feel comfortable enough to pull pranks on me now. What is it that I exude that welcomes such behavior? Jessica? Anyways, these pranksters are quite young, for this is the story of my life, and today gathered around for a group question [and unbeknownst flattery] during a slow hour.

Lauren, Megan, and Angela: Justin! [causing me to take out my earbuds] We have a question for you.
Justin: okay.
Lauren, Megan, and Angela: How old are you?
Justin: [smiling] why?
Lauren, Megan, and Angela: we're just wondering! Is that okay? Are you 23?
Justin: [big smile] no.
Lauren, Megan, and Angela: Don't tell me you're 26!
Justin: [Laughs]

That's all you need to know. :)

4 comments:

Joel said...

i love this. you should date them.

fentastic said...

ummm no. they're all under 21.

Jessica said...

There is something about you that just begs to have pranks pulled. Sometime I miss those days. :)

I know my baristas by name now too; I've even become such good friends with one of them that she comes over to my house! (I do NOT have a coffee addiction)

fentastic said...

Well, hopefully it's because I like to have fun. :)