Saturday, June 21, 2008

God of this City

"You're the God of this city" - no He isn't
"You're the King of these people" - no He isn't
"You're the Lord of this nation" - no He isn't

My criticalness and carefulness to only proclaim truth still kicks in when we sing this song. I don't believe we're a "Christian nation." I don't believe we're a "Godly people." To be a Christian means to be a follower of Jesus Christ. I'd propose that very few "Christians" even read their Bible, or any other pursuit to get to know this so-called god in order to be called a "follower." But my frustrated criticisms cause me to bring it back home and realize that those words aren't really statements so much as they are a call. The stanza should start with "You're the God of my life" - and then the remaining lines will follow as statements. What the song does is call us to a realization - that "greater things" are indeed yet to come - when we put God where He belongs: at the top, at the center, at the core of me. Then the me will become us, and the us becomes our cities, and our nation, and our world.

While I don't agree, it's been said that "if He's not Lord of all, then He's not Lord at all." I'm not perfect yet. Therefore I haven't truly made Him Lord of all. Though we do have this lifetime to try. And that process is, in and of itself, worship - the abandoned attempt to give all we have for Him. I may not be successful at making him lord of all in my life, but He is, and always will be, LORD.

It's my ask that this song becomes our anthem, our motto, our amalgamation with the heart of God.

1 comment:

Tamre said...

Thanks for you honesty in "No He isn't" x's three! I'm right there with you.
Tamre