Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Quitting

I apologize dear friends. Posts will be sparse from hence forth. First week of school and I'm overwhelmed with vocabulary, stacks of books, and reading. While much of my reading is already prompting bunny trails and extra-curricular processing, I have little time to stop and write and I must push forward for more page-turning.

Add to the stress of school interpersonal relationships at work. Using wisdom this time around I cannot disclose details, but tonight I was forced into confronting the first signs of discord among those I am responsible for.

I hate confrontation. I usually find myself saying that I'm not afraid of it, that I'm good at it. Recently, with certain personalities in particular, I've found myself avoiding it - pushing it off as long as possible. This week alone I've been forced to draw up an email for one situation, and make a phone call tonight for another. While driving away from a frustrating email, I found myself contemplating the best way to address it and possible "outs." One solution would be to quit and walk away from stubborn people. Then my aged wisdom told me that there will always be stubborn people in any work setting. then I realized how long it took me to consider prayer as a first solution.

Suffice it to say, my phone call went well. For now. My email is still being proof-read. :)

I'm not a quitter. Never have been. Doesn't meant I don't want to be one! :)

Now if only these textbooks would read themselves. I'm $10,000 in debt. So I can't quit that one.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

All I can say is, "Way to go!" As hard as it can be sometimes, confrontation is necessary when you are in leadership and, Justin, God has appointed you as the worship LEADER. Reid and I have full confidence in your ability to lead your ecclectic bunch! :) Just wanted to encourage you. You have grown so much as a leader. It's so amazing to watch and be a beneficiary of your ministy (confrontation and all)!