Tuesday, August 19, 2008

pets

I never understood how people get so attached to their pets. Really. They're just animals. They have no souls. I almost went off on the girl who couldn't speak because she was crying about her cat running away, "I know *sob* he's *sob* just a cat *sob*, but *sob* he's all I have." She's 25 years old. The girl - not the cat. Don't worry. The cat came back. But I figure if your cat is all you have, then yes, you have issues. So I usually figure that pets are for lonely people.

Anyways, after hearing the bad news today I am beginning to understand the attachment possibilities. Stearman was the dog that made me say "if I ever get a dog it will be a Rhodesian Ridgeback, and I hope he's just like Stearman." Rhodesian Ridgebacks have a cool mohawk (ridge) of hair that runs down the top of their back. They were originally African lion hunters and Stearman was a fierce guardian of my friend's family and home. Plus he liked me. :) But so did my former neighbors pet cougar... Ironically I do have a way with animals. Those aren't metaphors Joel.

Stearman was killed by a school bus yesterday. Here he is as Batman for Halloween with his kid brother who must be just as devastated. This comes on the heels of my friends finding out that their invetro attempt was not successful.

3 comments:

Charissa said...

:(

from a 25 year old girl...who is also pretty attached to her cat and would be very sad if something happened to her :)... I don't understand what it is about animals that makes us attached to them so much either, but somehow they work their way into your heart and they provide comfort and companionship in ways that humans can't sometimes. :)

I'm sorry for your friends. :(

Jessica said...

Did you peek into my brain in order to write that first paragraph? I think there are only a handful of us who think that way.

That being said, I am sorry for your friends, those two situations combined are rough.

-From the 25-year-old girl who sometimes wishes her cat would go away & that her husband would let her put him (the cat, not the husband) in the garage at night :)

Ben and Kristi Graves said...

aww, that makes me sad for your friends too. :(