Friday, November 28, 2008

whatever happened to...

Whatever happened to "i before e except after c"? I know there are exceptions, but I just came across the word "zeitgeist" in my textbook--a word that "excepts" the rule twice in the same word. I had to look the word up to find it's meaning, something you will also have to do if you are now curious of it's meaning. Furthurmore, no one should HAVE to look up such a word, since no one with a brain of common sense should ever have to use such a word.

Unfortunately, it's also such a ridiculously written textbook that if I was really reading for understanding I would have to consult the dictionary an average of ten times per page. Hopefully you don't own this textbook - for if you do, you have my admiration... And sympathy.

The Reciprocating Self: Human Development in Theological Perspective by Jack O. Balswick, Pamela Ebstyne King and Kevin S. Reimer

You have no idea how long it's taken me I type this up on my iPod - but also something I would rather do than read it.

No comments: