Thursday, November 20, 2008

Labor of Love pt. ii


I set my alarm clock early this morning so I could work on one of my papers before my 9:30 class. After 45 minutes of hitting the snooze button, an M&M breakfast accompanied by a grande apple spice from starbucks, I'm now at the library at 8:37. How much can I really accomplish on a paper in 53 minutes, really. So I thought I'd pummel you with more opinions and morning ponderings instead.

I thought about erasing some of my last blog because I don't want to be misinterpreted. I don't mean to say "look at me, I'm poor." Perhaps some financially unwise decisions of late, but I'm willing to own up to those and consider them my own responsibility.

I'm simply trying to filter things through God's perspective. Since I obviously am not God, I cannot completely achieve that goal. However, He has given us, what I would call "insight," into His perspectives in the scriptures. Why were we given the scriptures? In my opinion, to piece together the character of God. Our actions and interactions show our character - just as the record of God's interactions with people over time.

Anyways, I guess that is my precursor to my ponderings this morning: What is God thinking when he looks down upon the U.S.? Not everything. I can't possibly handle that here (nor could I possibly handle that). So this what I was thinking about this morning: Football (or sports in general).

If you don't yet know, I'm a HUGE college football fan - so I'm included in this challenging thought. Do you ever wonder if God looks down on our ginormous arenas and think, "WHAT are they doing? They've built a life, an economy, altars, and kingdoms around their sports." Now, I was taught that recreation is Biblical (though I forget the specific support). So while I believe that "games" are good, consider again what these athletes get paid. Consider what the fans offer (hint) in time, money, and emotion. This is probably why worship leaders so often compare sports with the worship service. We offer more to the television than to God.

Again, I'm not simply trying to point out everything we're doing wrong. I'm trying to change my perspective. Many things are permissable. Many things are beneficial (1 Cor. 6:12). What are the things we are doing that are in line with His will? "WHAT are we doing?

Editors note: The Iowa Hawkeye's running back, Shonn Greene, currently leads the nation in rushing yards and is on the prospective Heisman list.

No comments: