Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Dear Mr. President

"Yes they are costly mistakes, but he is not God. And contrary to current public opinion a savior, my Saviour, will never sit as America’s president. He sits on a higher throne."

225px-george-w-bush2The singer Pink had her own version of "Dear Mr. President." While I enjoy the melody, I hardly agree with it's declaration. This is the Dear Mr. President I prefer:

Dear Mr. President,

I am writing to thank you. Thank you for your courage. Only months into your first term, the unthinkable happened and our world would never be the same again. On the night of September 11, 2001, as we were reeling, you were resolute.

These acts of mass murder were intended to frighten our nation into chaos and retreat. But they have failed. Our country is strong. A great people have been moved to defend a great nation.
[...]
This is a day when all Americans from every walk of life unite in our resolve for justice and peace.
[...]
Thank you. Good night and God bless America.

One week later, a man would stand behind a pulpit and exhort God to damn America. He is the spiritual mentor to the man Americans just elected to be your successor. “The hearts of all his people shall revolt from him and kiss the lips of unacquainted change.” Shakespeare was right. But I digress.

We were moved to defend a nation we loved. We put flags above freeways. We were unified in both horror and outrage. Eager for vengeance, we urged you to retaliate immediately; wisely you waited but promised patient justice. With the AUMF and a coalition of nations, you led the battle to our enemies so they couldn’t bring the battle to us. You said you would not forget, yield, rest, or relent. You kept your word. Even when the going got tough, you kept your word and we are safer because of it. Along the way, there have been stumbles and setbacks for which, as our leader, you must rightfully be held responsible. But there have also been successes for which, as our leader, you should rightfully be given credit. Apparently, though, it’s a one-way street and that is patently unjust. Incidentally, I wish more people knew that your success in promoting democracy is not limited to Iraq.

Thank you for your decency. Eight years ago, your predecessor embarrassed our nation. He broke his marital vows and lied under oath. We wanted a decent man who loved his wife and family. We wanted a man of his word. Thank you for being that man. And thank you for Laura. She is the epitome of grace and class, a First Lady we love and respect.

Thank you for practicing your faith. You have been a friend to the poor, including those beyond our borders. You have recognized the value of faith-based charity at home. You have steadfastly stood for ethical scientific progress resulting in major breakthroughs. You have been a good steward of the environment. You have cared for children left behind by our public education system; we have a long ways to go but the results are encouraging.

Thank you for your appointments to the courts. While we can only fully appreciate your impact in this arena decades from now, already we see the difference, a difference between life and death.

Thank you for your prescience regarding government-sponsored enterprise. Though it has been totally ignored by virtually everyone of any political stripe, not only are you not responsible for the financial meltdown, you warned against it years ago, for years on end.

Mr. President, I owe you an apology. I have remained silent too often in the company of your many critics. Legitimate criticism of some decisions is one thing; baseless vitriol is a different matter altogether. In the face of a relentless torrent of antipathy, I grew increasingly silent and for that I am ashamed.

America owes you an apology, as well. At some point over the last eight years, we forgot how to respect our nation’s highest leader. We have blamed–or have allowed others to blame–you for all the problems and challenges over the last eight years, but we give you no credit whatsoever for the many successes. That is both absurd and cruel.

I know that you need neither praise nor apology, because your sense of self-worth is not derived from others’ acclaim or criticism. But I needed to set the record straight. Thank you for being my president. May God bless you and your family.

http://dontdrinkthekingswine.com

and Stephanie's addition was particularly good:

It is interesting to me how much hate flairs when one says the name Bush. When speaking to a person of my generation, it seems that there is more hate associated with Bush than with Hitler. And I truly wonder why that is.

When I read comments like that left by John - short and without defense, pure emotion - I wonder what policies Bush implemented that were so dreadful to cause him such angst. Now, for the record, I am no naive Christian who looks at the world through Pollyanna’s eyes. I have seen poverty, comforted souls whose lives and families have been shattered by war, and been deeply grieved by the state of the world today. But that does not lead me to respond with irrationality.

Do I agree with all Bush has done. Surely no. But then again, I do not agree with all my parents have done or even with all I have done. On a daily basis I am sure that everyone of us has made countless mistakes - driving recklessly and nearly missing another car, spoken too quickly and allowed hurtful words to penetrate the heart of another, the list goes on and on. Yet we expect - oftentimes demand - to be thanked for our good works even when those good works are overshadowed by our bad deeds.

However, we have no grace for a man who holds the power to determine whether men and women die, who must work off of incomplete evidence and information in order to make critical, time-constrained decisions, and who must lead a nation ever more divided as to what is right and what is truth. He definitely deserves our thanks because no decent man should want that position - he deserves our thanks for not turning into a complete and utter tyrant or for not completely abdicating from responsibility.

Is our economy faltering, yes. But why is that? Is it because some man in a big white house didn’t do enough or is it because we as people have hearts that lust for things we cannot afford and seek greed and instant gratification instead of diligent saving and hard work? Would our schools and families be experiencing so much heart-ache if we were intentional about raising our children, staying married, and building relationships even when it caused pain and suffering? Americans love to believe they are the rulers of their own destiny, for that is the American dream, yet it seems that when speaking of Bush these same Americans have no control over the state of their lives. All of a sudden their failed marriages, drunk and pregnant children, bankrupt businesses, and social status is the fault of one man.

Yes he lied. Then again, maybe he had a bit more information than has been released as of yet. I know my dad, who worked a stint with the CIA, often remarks at how little is actually reported or at least reported accurately. But let’s for argument sake, say he did lie and got us into a war we should never have been in. Well, he is human; he is driven by the same emotions and rationalities that we all are driven by - fear, anxiety, etc. Since when are we so unforgiving that we cannot allow a man who has had to venture into unchartered territory and lead a divided nation a few mistakes. Yes they are costly mistakes, but he is not God. And contrary to current public opinion a savior, my Saviour, will never sit as America’s president. He sits on a higher throne.

I realize that this post leaves a lot of logical gaps unexplained, but I am running out of time; I am hoping though that this post will not result in gut reactions, but will provide some fodder for real introspection and discussion that will lead not to further division but to a unity - a unity under the Blood and Forgiveness and Grace of Jesus Christ.

1 comment:

Corrie said...

hey thank you for this. I realize we have never met, but I stumbled onto your blog through Joel and kari's blog and appreciate a lot of what you write particularly in your thoughts on fighting for the unborn. I appreciate the stand in a place such as this denver where this idea of fighting for the unborn is an afterthought and a rarity. So thanks for your thoughts and your appreciation towards this president. -Corrie Casey