Monday, April 21, 2008

Chairs


I'm going to flashback for a second (quite different than flash dancing). Friday night I fell asleep to one of my all time favorite movies: Phenomenon. It doesn't contain the action or comedy that tend to be my favorite genres, nor am I a big fan of John Travolta. However, I think it might be one of his best roles, and it is so well written and created that I am forced to list it among my favorites. There are so many underlying messages contained in this film, that I will merely recommend you watch this movie again, rather than drawing out all the discussions here. However, there are two parts of the film that struck me back during my first viewing in 1996, and still caught me three nights ago. I just feel it's about time I draw some attention to it...as if this blog will do that...

The biggest thing I learned from this movie during my 18th year was from Robert Duvall's lines regarding chairs:
Banes: [speaking about George's transformation] He never really changed at all. Isn't that right Doc? I mean he never really got any smarter. Doc?
Doc: Banes... how's your lady love?
Banes: We... um... we broke up.
Doc: Really? That's too bad, yeah. Now George has a love at his side and she is sticking with him. You know why? Because he bought her chairs. That's pretty smart to me. You ever buy Lisa's chairs?'
Banes: Doc's real drunk tonight.

Doc: Every woman has her chair, something she needs to put herself into, Banes. You ever figure out what Lisa's chairs were and buy 'em?
[pause]
Doc: Nope. But, you're right about one thing, George never changed.


The bigger concept I found, although more subtly masked by the story line, was that the movie was about a simple man who was given an extraordinary gift. He uses this gift without selfish motive to help people in any way he can. People react more in awe, surprise, and even fear rather than understanding George for who he really is and intends. Remind you of anyone? Now, in that respect I'm not even drawing correlation to Jesus, but I do think there are some pretty good underlying themes.

Doc: [after hearing several of the townsfolk openly disparage George in the Bar] Why do ya have to tear him down? What are ya so afraid of? What have you got to lose? He wasn't selling anything! He didn't want anything from anybody! He wanted nothing from nobody! Nothing! And you people have to tear him down so you can sleep better tonight! So ya can prove that the world is flat and ya can sleep better tonight! Am I right? Am I right?... I'm right... The Hell with all of ya. The Hell with everyone of ya.
[storms out of the Bar]

Not to mention the fact that it includes THE sexiest shaving scene ever.

No comments: