Wednesday, January 28, 2009

call me old fashioned

This is funny.

And now I'm going to add more to this concept because today I was thinking of the economy and everyone that I know who are losing jobs and maybe foreclosing on their homes (when they borrowed 100 percent on a $350,000 house). I was thinking again of the generation (now) that somehow got the idea that we were going to live (right now) with the wealth that it took our parents their lifetimes to accumulate and budget with wisdom (while they raised us).

But even though we can point it out and realize the truth that this guy points out...I'm not sure we can go back there. I think we can appreciate what simplicity means, and that we can survive...for a moment. We can be thankful for what we have...for a moment. But I don't think we can live like that again and be productive in this society - mostly because of the demands that this technology age has created. Our pack mules simply wouldn't get us to work on time.

Even within the church - everyone wants your time. And to be efficient with peoples time requires scheduling and sometimes travel (not to mention getting all your other work done). It's the same within Christendom - and I mention Christendom because we're supposed to be frugal and wise with our earthly possessions and money (don't be fooled by the car, my treasure is in heaven). Maybe the homeschoolers were on to something... ouch. :) Just laugh! Isn't it less about the impatience with our technology than the deadlines that produce our anxiety and expect we accomplish 3,000 tasks everyday?

4 comments:

Joel said...

This is absolutely freaking awesome. I'm gonna steal it.

Joel said...

You're on to something huge with that concept of not being able to function in our culture riding around on a pack-mule. I'm not sure how deep that rabbithole goes, but it goes deep.

Joel said...

Can I reiterate how great I think this video is? I watched it again this morning and enjoyed it even more the second time.

Anonymous said...

I love this! He is saying things I have thought so many times! Love it!!!