My first day of school. Again. Not thirty minutes from my first class, still in the prologue of the my first textbook, and I'm here blogging. I'm here for a couple of reasons.One, I am surprised that I might actually be curious to work hard at my Church History class given that the professor might be human. There's a couple of "mights" in that sentence. My memory is damaged for history, but in the prologue of the book my professor's predecessor wrote this:
"As a consequence of our ignorance concerning Christian history, we find believers vulnerable to the appeals of cultists. Some distortion of Christianity is often taken for the real thing. At the same time other Christians reveal a shocking capacity for spiritual pride, hubris. Without an adequate base for comparisons they spring to the defense of their way as the best way--their party as the superior party. Finally, many Christians engage in some form of ministry without the advantage of a broader context for their labor. When they want to make the best use of their time or their efforts, they have no basis for sound judgment."
Examples spring to mind.
And, two, my observation with the intellectual. I'm sitting in the back of the libary this morning. A string of older women (probably all over 55), most of whom I've never seen in this place before have walked by doing differnent tasks. Whether they work here, study here, or are the wives of different faculty - I don't know. I know this, however, not one of them smiled when I looked up from my reading and made eye contact. This adds to my struggle here with the brilliant and gifted. They don't know people and there's something in me that feels it rings of contradiction. They're not all like this, but I think the majority here are. While I feel out of place because I don't have the intellectual aptitude due to the brain damage, I am humbled and contented to know that I'm gifted in more important areas. I'm reminded of the quote that goes something like "when you reach judgment day, God isn't going to ask you for your list of degrees and accolades."
People. Joy.
Matthew 25:
34"Then the King will say to those on his right, 'Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. 35 For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, 36 I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.'
37"Then the righteous will answer him, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38 When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? 39 When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?'
40"The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.'

2 comments:
I'm going to refrain commenting on the picture. But on the content...you have the gift of prophecy, my friend. Convicting.
wow... that Matt 25 is something else isn't it.
I've been raised in a church since birth with men who are so soaked up in knowledge that they have no clue why the church is closing it's doors. Their pride is in their knowledge. Their knowledge has puffed up. Their whole world is closing down around them and they are growing old.
Seeing this time after time, and pretty much my whole life… it’s no wonder I remain a simpleton.
If this is what knowledge does... I don't want any part of it. So what do I do?
I relinquish myself of all that I know and start searching for myself. I look for the bread and water. In its simplicity and purity I find it invigorating to my soul after being exhausted my whole life trying to live up to the standards of “knowledge puffed up idiots” who don’t know or care about making friends outside of their comfort zone.
Also - I start noticing that guy that no one ever talks to. I develop again that which so many have lost.... Love for others.
Reaching out...... Of my comfort zone.
I'm NOT talking about missions in a foreign country... there are lines of folks ready to go overseas. We have that taken care of… WHY?
My opinion is that the struggle here in the USA is such a force to be reckoned with, again WHY?
TWO REASONS:
1 We Christians are either too caught up in emotion and church talent shows that from the outside the world thinks we "drank the koolaid". We’re weird and fake. And we forgot how to befriend unbelievers, locked down so tight in our mega churches that no light shines out. In our little spiritual Utopia, our comfortable little christian clique.
OR
2 We Christians have got our head stuck so far into endless theological "black holes" that we cease to give friendship and love to those who need us the most.
Where do we need to be as a church?
“All you need is love”. It's interesting (or sad) that phrase did not come from Christendom. It came from a songwriter who was probably looking at Christians and taking notice of what little love they had for the world around them… either that or he was high.
Paraphrased from what Paul said…. “I can have all the knowledge in the world… but if I don’t have love… my words are nothing!!!”
My translation….. “All you need is Love”
“love is all you need” The rest will come.
It is sad that most will read what I have wrote and still not get it. The ones that don’t get it are thinking… “this guy shouldn’t be quoting the beetles.”
PEOPLE ALL AROUND US ARE SUFFERING IN THIS LIFE, DYING AND GOING TO HELL….. AND WE CHRISTIANS DON’T GIVE A DAMN!!!
IN FACT MORE CHRISTAINS ARE CONCERNED WITH THE FACT THAT I SAID “DAMN” THEN THE FACT THAT THEIR NEIGHBOR IS GOING TO HELL!!!!
Post a Comment