Are there levels of worship in God's eyes? Good, better, best?For the sake of this argument I'm going to limit the worship spectrum to music.
For instance, let's say you're visiting a fellowship that uses the old hymns. You don't know them, can barely keep up with the language, let alone the tune, but you try anyways. Is this a sacrifice of praise? What is sacrificed when it comes to praise?
Let's say you're visiting a fellowship that uses the up-to-date songs and instruments. You can flow easily with the lyrics and you feel it allows you to actually sing honestly (understanding the meaning of the words without interpretation - interpretation being different than understanding).

Is heartfelt different than sacrificing preference on the worship scale? Which do I get more points for before the Lord? Let me rephrase that...which is He most glorified in?
Open the textbooks and I get tons of these! I think part of the reason I get bored with theology is that I feel I've asked most of the hard questions. That's not bragging - I've just been asking for a long time. I realized after a while that most of my remaining questions...don't really have answers (that we can know). Granted, they're not questions that affect my faith. But in a search to know God, one has to ask questions.... right?

5 comments:
Ok, but let me ask you this...but what if you come from the generation where the Hymns were the modern worship and you came to love, understand, and adore that worship to the Lord? This coming from a lover of the old hymns and of the new...
sure. that's fine. But then compare your "modern" hymns with the "worship music" of old (for the hymns were controversial in their own time - set to irish bar tunes and the like).
Are there different levels of of worship, like there are maybe different levels of intimacy? Can I then compare intimacy with worship?
Or is worship style and intimacy in worship as individual as our own walks with the Lord and how He relates to us?
Nothing like answering a question with a question! :)
*Side note: Did you ever go the the Golden Bee in CO Springs and sing some of the old "hymns" with the real words?! So funny!
That's what I'M asking. :) And therefore isn't style and genre a legitimate argument for today? Can I say "I worship BETTER with ______ style music?" That would indicate various degrees on my end (as I see it). But are there various degrees from His perspective? In which case, would that render my argument moot?
oh, and I've been to the Golden Bee...though there weren't many hymns that I recognized other than maybe the Battle Hymn of the Republic.
And I still can't memorize the words to "I Can Sing of Your Love Forever," so no, I don't remember lyrics to sing the right ones.. :)
Post a Comment