
I should be reading for my 9:30 class right now. Instead, I'm going to write about something I believe the Holy Spirit spoke to me last night. Since I haven't been able to stop thinking about it, I feel that not only should it apply to me, but that I should attempt to share it.
I've been pretty ticked off in the last month with all the political crap going around. I've been frustrated with Christians who would say, "I'm not a one issue voter" rather than stand up for the rights of unborn children. I know, I know, Bush wasn't able to change abortion in the U.S. What's the point right? I don't get that. I'm not a one-issue voter, but I at least want to say "this is what I vote for: the right and value of life." Anyways, I could go on and on... I will attempt to keep the issues to a minimum.
Here's what I'm here to write about: While I think John McCain has more integrity and love for his country in his left pinky finger than Barrack Hussein Obama has in his entire multi-racial (notice the label) body, I do not believe he's going to win the election. This being said, I'm still a realist. So what then? How do I respond and live in a country becoming more and more morally decrepid every day (with or without Mr. Hussein)?
I was listening to a sermon last night and the speaker was talking about the story of the golden calf made by Aaron and the people of Israel while Moses was up on the mountain. I could also speak of the calf and it's role as a "little god" of which the people worshipped - but it was a different part of the story that spoke to me.
Exodus 32:7-10
Then the LORD spoke to Moses, “Go down at once, for your people, whom you brought up from the land of Egypt, have corrupted themselves. 8 “They have quickly turned aside from the way which I commanded them. They have made for themselves a molten calf, and have worshiped it, and have sacrificed to it, and said, ‘This is your god, O Israel, who brought you up from the land of Egypt!’” 9 And the LORD said to Moses, “I have seen this people, and behold, they are an obstinate people. 10 “Now then let Me alone, that My anger may burn against them, and that I may destroy them; and I will make of you a great nation.”
Hmmm. I would have been like, "uhh, okay Lord. You and Me. Let's do this. Get rid of those foolish people and you can start over with ME!" Not that I feel God should wipe out American and start over with me, mind you. But put yourself in Moses's shoes. You might be at least tempted to stay out of the way of God's fury right? To see the Lord angry, and still showing you favor - I'll jump that bandwagon. Okay, I admit there's a part of me that wishes God would pour out His fury next Wednesday...I know where I'm going. You can now give thanks that God doesn't take orders from me. :)
But that's still not what spoke to me entirely. Here's the surprising part:
Then Moses entreated the LORD his God, and said, “O LORD, why doth Thine anger burn against Thy people whom Thou hast brought out from the land of Egypt with great power and with a mighty hand? 12 “Why should the Egyptians speak, saying, With evil intent He brought them out to kill them in the mountains and to destroy them from the face of the earth? Turn from Thy burning anger and change Thy mind about doing harm to Thy people. 13 “Remember Abraham, Isaac, and Israel, Thy servants to whom Thou didst swear by Thyself, and didst say to them, ‘I will multiply your descendants as the stars of the heavens, and all this land of which I have spoken I will give to your descendants, and they shall inherit it forever.’” 14 So the LORD changed His mind about the harm which He said He would do to His people.
Moses "entreated the LORD" on behalf of those foolish people. What's my responsibility before AND after this election? I believe it is to "entreat the LORD" on behalf of the people.
Keep in mind...Moses went down that mountain and WHOOPED SOME ASS. Killed 3,000 of them, ground the calf into powder, put it in the water and MADE them drink it. Maybe now I know why President Hussein is trying to take away my right to bear arms. Had to get that in there as a hunter...

2 comments:
Your conviction certainly does inspire...
I love the Moses whooping some ass comment. Interesting how many times OT characters bargained with God on behalf of other people. And then how it still usually ends up going south because of how corrupt the people are.
Our society is doomed. I guess I'm the pessimist out of the two of us.
Well, I also think we're doomed to self-destruct, that God will give us over to our chosen form of demise.
But I wouldn't call myself anymore optimistic than you. I think we're supposed to continue in the sense that we can. I won't pretend that we're the new Israel, but consider how they were told to operate during captivity in Babylon.
dirty samaritans (God's people intermarrying and adopting pagan attitudes...in case you're forgetting your seminary training...)
:)
Post a Comment