When is it acceptable for men to cross their legs like women? I realize that "when" could be qualified differently, so let's go with "what age," rather than "what social setting."
There is a theory that the older a man gets he becomes less malleable and thus unable to cross his legs in the more manly fashion. This could be contradicted in the physical sense that women are more flexible and thus should be the ones exercising what I would call the "open cross." But that's not how it works in our society, so let's also restrict this pondering to the social as opposed to the physical.
Part of this pondering comes from the fact that I find myself crossing my legs "girly-style" more and more. I've been wondering if I've simply adapted my sitting style behavior to the fact that it's perceived to be the way a counselor should sit - a learning behavior adaption that most probably has a theory name, and of which I should probably know by now. I don't.
Aside from all that, I'm finding myself becoming more and more comfortable with it. Should this be a concern?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
Ha! If you can sit girly style, may I *please* sit open leg style? it's much more comfortable with my burgeoning belly!
All that aside, I think situation/age play a role. For as long as I remember my dad has crossed his legs girly style. Thinking about it, it does seem a more respectable way to sit for a setting like counseling or church or some other meeting. Open leg seems much more like a guys thing to do in a sports setting or bar.
You've opened my mind to so many useless things to think about, now. :)
that's what I'm here for!
ask josh elgard...lol
ha! of course he was one of the first to come to mind. :)
Post a Comment