I think the hardest part about the dating process is the commitment factor. I'll admit, at my age commitment is still scary in the sense that more time has been spent, by de facto, in selfishness. But in certain respects it's easier. At this point I know that love is more commitment than emotion; and I now have additional people experience (i.e.,give-and-take). I also know a little bit of how "work" and "expectation" fit it. One of the things I've enjoyed in my singleness is the opportunity to mature and understand the difference between "settling" and realistic expectations in personhood and development. Now what I find difficult is when everyone says to wait and be patient...and part of me thinks that's what I've done...for 31 years. Then the commitment factor is confused because one assumes commitment...but nothing significant happens to affirm it in its entirety...leaving suggestive confusion.
Marriage is work right? If I find the top things I've looked for in a woman (understanding the rest would and will require work for a lifetime anyways), why wait? :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
YEAH FOR DATING!!!!!
Don't wait. Once you know, you know. You're either working at it while you're dating or while you're married.
completely agree with joel. :) don't wait. it's work either way, and so worth it!
Ditto Joel. If you know, you know. Jump in!
Don't wait...just get married. And I want to be invited.
The only thing I can say is that I've never met a couple who ever regretted waiting and growing together while dating. On the other hand I know too many who have regretted not taking more time before jumping in. I see your point about having waited already. I just probably tend to err on the side of caution where life-long commitment is involved.
Post a Comment