Monday, December 15, 2008

life is interesting

You should have seen me Friday morning. I didn't know what to do with myself! I should have been relaxing, and although I did sleep in, I woke up with an almost anxious feeling. It was strange not to have an impending deadline or multiple chapters of reading due the next day. There's plenty that needs to be done around the house (in fact i just finished folding LOTS of laundry), and there is the impending church Christmas planning (which I'll comment on shortly). But of course I didn't want to do any of that stuff. Maybe I'm a masochist. Oops. We're being taught not to label people. Ahem. Perhaps I struggle with symptoms that would be described as masochistic. I'll go with this definition: noun, : pleasure in being abused : a taste for suffering. Anyways, I actually passed up skiing Friday and Saturday to work on Church stuff, so there's always something to do that takes away from "relaxing."

That aside...it's still nice to be done AND I found out that my hard work and torturous final week of study paid off. And while I didn't achieve A's in everything - I'm just happy to be DONE.

Have I mentioned that I haven't seen my family in a year and a half? And I don't have the opportunity to see them for another year (at least)...not sure what to think about that. I'm okay with it for now, but the bigger question is whether or not I should have some familial responsibility to see them... just because I'm a loner doesn't mean they are...oh well.

So, the Christmas stuff. Christmas used to be my favorite time of the year. I loved the music, the lights, and of course the snow. I still like most of those. But i tell you what (you have to read that in a southern accent), working for a church can really dampen one's Christmas spirit. It's not as bad as it sounds, but to be honest I've never liked playing Christmas music. Christmas music wasn't written for a guitar. And since I can't play the piano...When you're the music guy you don't have a choice. That's what bugs me. :) This is the service that gets handed to me "you have to do this." Oh well, it's once a year. I can get over it.

And as my guitar player says... "He never said anything about celebrating His birth - He said to remember His death." But he also takes big issue with the fact that Christ wasn't born in December...but whatta ya do?

Side note: I was really thinking and missing Teen Camp at LGYC tonight. Why? Because I was blastin' out some rockin' worship in my car ride tonight and it really made me want to worship and sing LGYC style. That is, uninhibited. What's unihibited? That's a whole other blog... (adult music requirements vs. youth musical freedom). there's something to be said for youth...something to be said..


this is the album that gets me going:


Hillsong United: A Valley By the Sea

You Reign
What could stand before You
As You chose to embrace
A cross so undeserved You took for me
The weight of sin upon You
When You offered Your life
As You walked the streets of men
With fading strength

How could we live,
But not see,
Your sacrifice
Your glory

You reign, You reign
Over everything Lord, You reign
With power, and justice divine
Over everything Lord, You reign

What was Your last thought
As You drew Your last breath
Where the victory was Yours for us to see
And all will know the truth
As we live by Your grace
Every praise to You alone

See now the King of Glory
Love of God become my calling
Father I surrender all I am to You forever

2 comments:

Joel said...

That familial responsibility piece is an interesting one. I certainly feel it, but it's often sparked by guilt-trips.

Jessica said...

Congratulations on being finished for the semester!!! I remember the huge feeling of relief that brings.

Hope you can find some time for a bit of "fun" during your break!