Monday, May 10, 2010

I REALLY wish I didn't have papers and finals distracting me from completely reacting to this:

Posted on Joel's blog, from Tyler's:
John Piper's comments on self-pity.

If I have the synopsis correct, yes, STOP FEELING SORRY FOR YOURSELF.

However,
"I deserve admiration because I have sacrificed so much...The reason self-pity does not look like pride is that it appears to be needy...But the need arises from a wounded ego and the desire of the self-pitying is not really for others to see them as helpless, but heroes."

not all the wounded are asking to be heroes
self-pity does not = sacrifice
we are all wounded egos

Ahem. So self-pity is needy, or it appears needy... Hmm...somewhere I heard it said "And let endurance have its perfect result, so that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing. Are we not to pursue holiness...I didn't know Johnny got there before the rest of us, not lacking in ego strength (because if you're not needy...Mr. Piper, then you sound kind of...shall we say, prideful?). Hopefully Tyler simply did not include the part where Mr. Piper mentions that we are complete in Christ, yet our wounded egos are in need of progressive sanctification...

And #2, you can cite yourself if you're John Piper, or you - because YOU CAN and you're legally supposed to. :)

Looking forward to discussing this further Friday Joel. :)

2 comments:

Joel said...

Bring it on. You're the one person I enjoy debating with.

fentastic said...

ironically, I probably would have easily agreed with Piper before more of my recent education and experiences...